Methadone belongs to the category of synthetic opioids commonly used for treating patients in extreme pain. Most people often ask what is methadone used for in drug treatment. Methadone is usually used to treat patients recovering from opioid addiction. Approximately 1.9 million Americans have a substance use disorder involving opioids. The number of people addicted to opioids keeps on growing and an estimated 586,000 Americans suffer from heroin addiction. Our Methadone treatment program at NC Wellness Center – Reidsville is very helpful in treating patients with opioid addiction. It contains key properties that help patients recover fully.
What is Methadone Used for in Drug Treatment and How Does it Work?
Methadone is a drug that is usually prescribed by the doctor. The main purpose of this drug is to ease pain and offer relief. Methadone is commonly used in the treatment of drug addiction because it helps ease the withdrawal symptoms. It is one of the most popular drugs used in pharmacotherapy.
Methadone works like many other opioids. This means it affects the brain in various ways to elicit certain responses such as pain relief. Methadone also helps the patient relax and even feel better. This goes a long way in helping patients who are going into withdrawal after years of dependency on opioids such as heroin. Methadone is not as fast-acting as other opioids. This makes it an excellent alternative for use in treating patients suffering from opioid addiction.
Methadone also works in addiction treatment because it helps alleviate any cravings the patients may have. This helps them manage their recovery process in a better way and allows them to rebuild their lives. It’s important to remember that just like any other opioid, Methadone can be addictive when taken without medical supervision.
Do You Need a Methadone Prescription Before You Begin Treatment?
Yes, you do need a prescription from a medical professional to start treatment. But most people don’t know this, and often they ask what is Methadone used for in drug treatment. Even if you join a Methadone treatment program you need a personal prescription.
The key advantages of this include:
- Helps prevent you from getting addicted to Methadone
- Protects you from a Methadone overdose
- Helps track the progress of the recovery process
- Assists you and your doctor know whether they are working or if you need any additional treatment plan
- Prevents you from abusing the drugs for non-medical purposes
The availability of opioids makes them more prone to abuse. Acquiring Methadone without a prescription means that you may get sub-standard drugs which may expose you to a lot of health risks such as death and adverse side effects such as breathing problems.
Approaches for Treating Drug Addiction at NC Wellness Center – Reidsville
Knowing what is Methadone used for in drug treatment will help you understand some of the programs we offer. They include:
- Suboxone treatment approach: Helps patients get better and recover from opioid addiction by giving them Suboxone. It is a very effective drug and it has shown great results in helping patients recover
- Withdrawal and maintenance program: This program helps address the more holistic needs of the patients. This is usually during the withdrawal phase. The program also works for patients who need long term care after recovery
- Medically assisted treatment: Where drugs such as Buprenorphine are usually used to help patients during the recovery process. This program works best for patients who may suffer severe withdrawal symptoms
- Outpatient opiate rehab center: Focuses on using Methadone as the main drug for treating opiate addiction. Methadone is much safer than other opioids and this makes it an ideal option for helping patients suffering from an opioid addiction
Join our Methadone Treatment Program at NC Wellness Center – Reidsville
People keep asking what is Methadone used for in drug treatment. Many still don’t understand its benefits. Don’t let anyone confuse you about the use of Methadone in treating drug addiction. If you or your loved one is suffering from opiate addiction, join our Methadone treatment program to understand better. Call NC Wellness Center – Reidsville at 833.916.0562 for comprehensive care and treatment.